Saturday, June 18, 2011

Vision and Hope

When this occurred to me, the vision was not full.  It was just seeing a need and wanting to meet it.  More and more girls were not going to formals, "with a it's stupid" on their lips.  Yet, what I really saw was "my family can't afford that kind of thing".  With the cost of dresses and all the hoopla it is understandable.  After watching all of the Jr High tumble out of their formal I was amazed at just how formal it really was and what a divide was created.
 It hurt my heart to see these kids separated by money.  That they felt "not good enough", it was in the slump of their shoulders and downcast head.  I can understand why they would not want to go back.  Then I thought about how that was going to effect their life.  These are such formidable years.  They needed to see they were worthy, and lovely based on who they are and not how expensive their dress is.

Days, weeks, later I stumbled upon formal wear at a steal of a price.  I bought them, not sure why but knew they could be given away to someone.  Then talking with other women who had struggled with that in high school it became even more "right" that we do something.   Resembling the fairy godmother in Cinderella the idea was hatched!  We could gather, and encourage others to let go of unused dresses to bring joy and beauty into young lives.  My heart is full of joy!!  It is embraced and I do hope all of you will continue to spread the word.

I soooo want it to grow and be established in this town that we are able to reach other towns as well.  Hope fully find a small place in downtown Shelton to have the dresses and accessories and be available to receive donations and help the girls.  Maybe have classes on how to make a simple clutch purse or make some jewelry or simple up-do's with the help of other Shelton businesses.  It really could be a community loving community thing.

Imagine just for a moment all of these young women, being cared about, encouraged,and seeking good things in their life.  How would that really beautify Shelton?  In the generations to come?  In the right now?
                                   Come  and join us and be a part of "the village" and love these women.

No comments:

Post a Comment